What is psychological assessment?
Psychological assessment is a process that involves the use of multiple sources and assessment tools to make inferences about an individuals psychological functioning (intelligence, personality, emotions).
A comprehenisve psychological assessment includes:
- Interview/s with the client
- Perusal of accompanying documentation e.g. school report
- Interviews with collateral sources e.g. spouses, teachers
- Administration, interpretation and integration of an assessment battery. An assessment battery comprises administration of a number of psychological tests and/or questionnaires. Tests included in the assessment battery will depend on the reason for referral. A test battery usually includes intelligence, emotional and personality tests.
- A detailed report and verbal feedback
Some of the benefits of psychological assessment include:
- Highlighting strengths and potential areas of growth
- Holistic understanding of an individual
- Guidance in terms of treatment/management plans
- Assistance with diagnosis
- Ascertaining potential reasons for psychological distress/poor interpersonal functioning
Forensic Assessments/Court Reports
Custody evaluation, parental assessments, personality assessment for criminal matters